July 25, 2011

Schizobird – New Ubuntu Twitter Client Optimized for Multiple Accounts

A new Twitter client by the name of ‘Schizobird’ has been under development by Ubuntu user and avid community-goer Conscious User, with the focus on rock solid multiple account support.


The name Schizobird wasn’t picked at random; instead it’s an allusion to the illness schizophrenia, which is associated with multiple personality disorder. Schizobird is designed to handle multiple accounts and columns gracefully.

Schizobird is heavily oriented towards multiplicity. Not only of accounts, but also of columns.
I asked Conscious User why on earth he decided to create yet another Ubuntu Twitter client for what’s already an over-crowded market with other apps such as Gwibber, Hotot, Choqok, Twitm, Qwit, Oosh, and Tweetdeck – just to name a few!
Conscious User explains -
“Well, the reason is a conflict of philosophy: I have multiple Twitter accounts but have *no* interest in seeing them merged. I want to *switch* between accounts, not toggle accounts on and off, for example. And I want to keep the streams always separated. But most of the current clients who accept multiple accounts are optimized for merging, so I decided to scratch my itch.
This is actually a fairly common use case: the most prominent example are people who create accounts for their products and companies, like you and Joey with @omgubuntu and @ohsoltd.
Also, there are people like me who maintain a “personal” and a “professional” accounts. This is to overcome a limitation of Twitter lists, that separate friends but not followers. Google+ circles solve this, but I don’t see myself leaving Twitter any time soon.”


No comments:

Post a Comment