The first beta release of ubuntu 11.10 has been made available for download now. you can upgrade you ubuntu from 11.04 to 11.10. To upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '11.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
To upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 on a server system: install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed; launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d; and follow the on-screen instructions. Note that the server upgrade is now more robust and will utilize GNU screen and automatically re-attach in case of e.g. dropped connection problems.
Download the Beta 1
Beta 1 images can be downloaded from a location near you:
- http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/download (Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server) .
In addition they can be found at the following links:
- http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/ (Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server)
- http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Ubuntu Cloud Images)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Ubuntu DVD, preinstalled ARM images, source)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/11.10/ (Ubuntu Netboot)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Ubuntu Studio)